• Works entire spine, it helps straighten rounded spines, relieves backaches, and improves pigeon chest by opening the rib cage, permitting maximum expansion of lungs and increased oxygen intake.
• Strengthens quads and inner thing muscles.
• Improves the functioning of the large and small intestines, the liver, kidneys, and spleen.
• The Bow also revitalizes all spinal nerves by increasing circulation to the spine.
• It improves digestion and strengthens abdominal muscles, upper arms, thighs and hips (it is especially good for increasing the flexibility of dancers’ hip joints).
• It also improves the flexibility of the scapula, latissimus dorsi, deltoid, and trapezius muscles.
• This posture is the peak of the floor series.
• Strengthens muscles of the back & shoulders.
• Improves flexibility of the neck and spine and relieves backache.
• Produces maximum compression of the spine, which stimulates the nervous system.
• It stretches the throat, thyroid gland, and parathyroid gland.
• Like the Bow Pose, it opens a narrow rib cage to give more space to the lungs. It also firms and slims the abdomen and the waistline.
• In addition, this posture allows release of emotional tension held in the body as stress, anxiety, anger and depression.
Fixed Firm Pose
Supta - Vajrasana
• Stretches and strengthens the psoas muscles.
• Stretches knee and ankle joints.
• Relieves lower back pain.
• Slims thighs, firms abdomen and calves.
• Helps cure sciatica, gout, varicose veins.
• Helpful in the prevention of hernia.
• Counter posture to the camel.
• Stretches and lengthens the lower spine to permit the nervous system to receive proper nutrition, allowing blood to flow to the brain.
• Helps maintain mobility and elasticity of the spine and back muscles.
• The Rabbit improves digestion and helps cure colds, sinus problems and chronic tonsilitis.
• It has a wonderful effect on thyroid and parathyroid glands.
• Helps with insomnia and depression.
Half Tortoise Pose
Ardha - Kurmasana
• Stretches and lengthens shoulder muscles, lengthens entire spine.
• Provides maximum relaxation.
• Cures indigestion, constipation, and insomnia.
• Good for emphysema, asthma, and other respiratory ailments.
• Stretches the lower part of the lungs, increasing blood circulation to the brain, bringing mental clarity, enhancing memory.
• Increases the flexibility of the hip joints, scapula, deltoids, triceps, and latissimus dorsi muscles.
Head to Knee Pose
• Circulation of blood to legs & brain.
• Increased flexibility of the spine and ham strings.
• Increases flexibility of the shoulder muscles.
• This pose improves flexibility of the sciatic nerves, ankles, knees and hip joints.
• Improves digestion, enhances the proper functioning of the kidneys, and expands the solar plexus.
• Helps to balance the blood sugar level.