Dead Body Pose
• Savasana is one of the most important parts of a hatha-yoga practice and it is often said that this is where the “magic” happens in the Bikram Yoga series. Healing is created by the stillness of the pose.
• Returns cardiovascular circulation to normal.
• Slows heart rate, reduces blood pressure.
• Teaches complete relaxation.
• Concentrating on strengthening the lower 1/3 of the spine. Cervical, thoracic, lumbar, sacrum and coccyx.
• It increases spinal strength and flexibility, helps prevent lower backache and osteoporosis, and helps cure lumbago, rheumatism, and arthritis of the spine.
• It also relieves menstrual problems (irregularity, cramps, backache), cures loss of appetite, helps correct bad posture, and improves the functioning of the liver and spleen.
• The Cobra strengthens the deltoids, trapezius, and triceps.
• Strengthens the immune system and revitalizes the thyroid.
Wind Removing Pose
• Massages the ascending, descending and transverse colon and can help to prevent constipation and irritable bowel syndrome.
• Helps to normalize production of stomach acid.
• Stimulates the liver, intestines and spleen.
• Improves flexibility of the hip joints and relieves lower back pain, firms the abdomen, thighs, and hips.
• Strengthens the bicep and tricep muscles of the upper arms and all the muscles of the forearm.
• Strengthening and lengthening the upper 1/3 of the spine.
• Has the same benefits as the Cobra, but it is even more potent in the cure of any back or spinal problem such as gout, slipped disc, and sciatica.
• Isometric pressure promotes muscle power in to and all over the spine.
• Balance strength to both sides of the body.
• Helps cure loss of appetite and improve sluggish digestive system.
• Strengthens and tightens the abdomen, increases flexibility of the spine.
• Open mouth exhalation stimulates diaphragm and eliminates toxins from lungs.
• The sit-up serves to invigorate the body in between poses. A quick stretch to the hamstrings, it helps to prepare and open the lower back and legs for the final stretching pose at the end of class.
Full Locust Pose
Poorna - Salabhasana
• Working the middle 1/3 of the spine.
• Helpful with high blood pressure and back extension.
• Firms the abdominal wall and upper thighs, and tightens upper arms, hips, and buttocks.
• It increases the size and elasticity of the rib cage and the lungs and improves the flexibility and strength of the lower spine and most of the body’s muscles.